As the company behind important payroll management software that is used by Governments, there was a desire from the client for a platform that would allow it to be more responsive to its customers and increase the speed to market of their products. As part of this desire, the client identified Red Hat OpenShift as their technology of choice for the platform. Deloitte were engaged to help build a platform with Red Hat OpenShift that would serve as the foundation for all future solution development.
Deloitte was engaged to:
Build and deliver a platform on Red Hat OpenShift that would serve as the foundation for future development, allowing it happen at a faster pace and with reduced coordination among independent teams.
With Red Hat OpenShift at the core, a platform was built powered by Kubernetes and Docker. The whole engagement was run with DevOps principles and an agile SAFe methodology guided delivery approach.
The methodology that Deloitte took during this engagement included
- Reinforcing a DevOps culture by sharing knowledge and replacing linear project methods with feedback loops
- Automating manual processes with the Red Hat Ansible Automation Platform and Jenkins Pipelines
- Driving Product deployment with GitOps
- Regularly demonstrating Red Hat OpenShift capabilities to help developers understand the value of the platform
This development approach, methodology and the final delivered platform presented a shift for the people involved. It was not only a shift in the types of tools used daily, but also a shift in how they approach software delivery going forward
Impact we made
Highlights of the engagement included:
Adopting of a Red Hat OpenShift development platform while following DevOps principles provided considerable value to the client in the form of improved productivity, stability, reliability and security. Other benefits included:
- Reduction of the mean time to deploy a product from more than eight hours to under five minutes
- Automated standard changes that can be executed on demand has eliminated the time for process approvals
- Allows developers and testers to "shift left" with automated API and UI testing
- Enables the business to rapidly experiment with new features for improvements down the road